3 April 2019

What I've Been Reading: March 2019.


Hello April! A new month means looking back at the books I finished in March and hopefully giving others some good recommendations.




All The Rage
Courtney Summers
Current Kindle price: £4.74


"Romy Grey wears her lipstick like armour, ever since the night she was raped by Kellan Turner, the sheriff's son.

Romy refuses to be a victim, but speaking up has cost her everything. No one wants to believe Kellan is not the golden boy they thought he was, and Romy has given up trying to make herself heard.

But when another girl goes missing after a party, Romy must decide whether the cost of her silence might be more than she can bear."


Courtney Summers is one of my favourite authors so I went into this expecting great things. It certainly didn't disappoint. An anthor I wholeheartedly recommend checking out if you haven't read anything of hers.




Friends Like These
Sarah Alderson
Current Kindle price: 99p


"Lizzie hasn't thought about her colleague Becca in years- not since the accident.

Then Becca's ex-boyfriend turns up on Tinder, and Lizzie's curiosity is sparked.

It looks like Becca hasn't changed. She's still all over social media: #perfectlife, #perfectjob, #blessed. Lizzie can't resist a dig. But she sends her mean comment to Becca by mistake...

She's about to find out you can't always believe what you see online.

And that with friends like Becca, you don't need enemies..."

Well, this was a surprise. I'm picky when it comes to psychological thrillers and usually end up giving up halfway through but I couldn't put this one down! The ending is a shock, the characters are written perfectly and now I want to read more by Sarah Alderson.




Her Defiant Heart
Monica Murphy
Current Kindle price: £2.99


"Life can feel like a cruel joke. I grew up poor and motherless, with a father who never got over his wife's abandonment. But now he's gone too, and I'm dead set on finding the woman who so carelessly tossed me aside when I was a baby.

I want revenge. And I'm going to get back at my mother any way that I can.

I change my name. Start my new life in college, and just happen to cross paths with the gorgeous, ultra-rich Rhett Montgomery. He's immediately interested in me, not that I'm surprised.

You see, I planned it that way. I meant for him to find me. He's the one connection to my mother, and I'm using him, so I can destroy her. But I didn't plan on Rhett being so charming. Sweet. Sexy.

And I definitely didn't plan on falling for him either..."



Meh. I didn't like this. I finished it but I won't be carrying on to read the rest of the books in this series. The whole book I was waiting for the main character to finally meet her mother and it didn't even happen. That was the part of the synopsis that intrigued me the most and the whole book was just about her relationship with Rhett. It was a disappointment for me, which is a shame as I love some of Monica Murphy's other work. The Friends series is one of my favourites.




Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda
Becky Albertalli
Current Kindle price: £1.99


"Simon Spier is sixteen and trying to work out who he is- and what he's looking for.

But when one of his emails to the very distracting Blue falls into the wrong hands, things get all kinds of complicated.

Because, for Simon, falling for Blue is a big deal...

It's a holy freaking huge awesome deal."


This has been on my to read list since watching Love Simon. I liked this, it was interesting to see the difference between the book and the film but I did enjoy the film more, probably because I saw that first.




Starry Eyes
Jenn Bennett
Current Kindle price: 99p


"Ever since last year's homecoming dance, best-friends-turned-worst-enemies Zorie and Lennon have made an art of avoiding each other. It doesn't hurt that their families are the modern-day version of the Montagues and Capulets. But when a group camping trip goes south, Zorie and Lennon find themselves stranded in the wilderness. Alone. Together.

Zorie and Lennon have no choice but to try to make their way to safety. But as the two travel deeper into the rugged Californian countryside, secrets and hidden feelings surface. Soon it's not simply a matter of enduring each other's company, but taming their growing feelings for each other."


This was a cute YA read. I much preferred this over Alex, Approximately by the same author. Aside from the main characters, there was a few unlikable characters sprinkled in here, but they are necessary to have Zorie and Lennon stranded in the first place. A bargain of a read for 99p!




The One Who's Not The One
Keris Stainton
Current Kindle price: £1.99


"Cat's life has hit a brick wall. Since her ex ditched her without ceremony five years ago she's quit stand up comedy, landed in a steady but dull job, and lives in a tiny flat with roommates she knows only as The One Who Eats All My Food and The One Who Has Really Loud Sex.

So when she bumps into old friend Harvey and sparks fly, Cat is surprised- and horrified, because Harvey is her ex's brother, and so absolutely, 100% off limits romantically. Even if his dimples do make her insides fizz...

When she's offered a job abroad, Cat is tempted to accept- and leave her depressing flat and mess of a love life behind her. But will running away from her problems really solve them?"


Another cute read, this just didn't quite live up to my expectations. I like Keris Stainton as an author, everything is written perfectly, some of books just fall a bit flat for me. I know exactly why this is. Because Counting Stars was the first Keris Stainton book I read. And it's one of my favourite books EVER. So here's my recommendation: Read Counting stars!



Have you read any of these authors before? What were you reading in March?

Danni
x

2 comments:

  1. I've not read anything from these authors. I have watch the Love, Simon, which I enjoyed. I like the sound of a couple of these though. :D

    Sarah 🌺 || Boxnip || Latest Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these blog posts you do! I’ve certainly added All The Rage, Friends Like These and Starry Eyes to my eBay watch list to buy soon! As I love having the actual book in front of me 😊

    Isobel x

    New post: http://www.fashionistachic.co.uk/2019/04/beauty-my-eyelash-growth-story.html?m=0
    Insta: https://www.instagram.com/isobelceline/
    New video: https://youtu.be/dhKA_n-CLpU

    ReplyDelete