25 October 2018

Glossybox VS Birchbox, October 2018.



The October editions of Birchbox and Glossybox have very different design themes. Glossybox have gone with the obvious Halloween Trick or Treat theme and Birchbox's is "autumnal nostalgia" with a springlike design for the box. Glossy win with the box design for me.

On a rolling subscription basis, the boxes actually cost the same price per month which is what makes these comparisons more interesting. Birchbox have mostly sample sizes whereas Glossybox feature mostly full sizes and a greater value for your money.

Let's start with Birchbox.







This month includes 2 full sizes, 3 sample sizes and 1 perfume sample. The total value of the full size products adds up to £11.95. Not the greatest to be honest.

BeautyPro ThermoTherapy Warming Gold Foil Mask (Full Size RRP £5.95)


"This hi-tech sheet mask in infused with hydrating hyaluronic acid and regenerating Q10. Its self-warming foil helps ingredients to deeply penetrate the skin to improve elasticity, reduce fine lines and boost glow."


Subscribers got to choose between this and the silver mask for this months. I choose this one as it sounder more suited to my skin type.



Gallinee Hydrating Face Cream

"Probiotics can do wonders for your complexion by helping promote healthy skin function. This lightweight creamy moisturiser contains a patented Triple Biotic Complex to deliver long-lasting hydration and brightness to all skin types."

I'm not keeping this. All the reviews on Birchbox from subscribers who've had it before say it smells disgusting and I don't doubt so many reviews when they all say the same thing!

Number 4 Lumiere d'Hiver Super Comb Prep & Protect


"This leave-in conditioner instantly detangles, provides a barrier against UV damage, and gives each strand a boost of lightweight moisture to prep your hair for the rest of your styling routine."

Meh. I'm not a big fan of receiving haircare in beauty boxes, even less so when they're small sample sizes.



Daily Concepts Multi-Functional Charcoal Soap Sponge (Full Size RRP £6)

"This 2-in-1 soap sponge combines a detoxifying charcoal cleanser with a gentle, exfoliating sponge so you can skip a step in your skincare routine."

I'll be using this, I'm just a little unsure if this is meant for the face or body?! So a little research is needed first.


Winky Lux Disco Gloss in Far Out

"This lip gloss might appear super bright and bold in its tube but once it makes contact with your lips, the pH-adjusting formula reveals a rosy hue."

Okay, so it may turn pink on skin contact but the chunks of glitter don't do it for me. I'm thirty years old! Hard pass.



I also got a sample of Joop! Wow! I quite like it.

The November sneak peek is a choice between two shades of a full size Manna Kadar Diamond Dust Rollerball Eyeshadow.




The October Glossybox contains four full sizes and one deluxe mini, adding up to a total box value of £68. There's no comparison here when it comes to value for money. Glossybox beat Birchbox every single month.





MUA Luxe Set & Reflect Finishing Kit (Full Size RRP £5)

"This vegan friendly and cruelty-free 2 in 1 compact is the perfect way to mattify your t-zone and top up your glow on the go. The luminescent highlighter helps you to achieve an intense, iridescent look in a single swipe."

The powder in this I could give or take, especially when one of the other products in the box is a loose powder but the highlighter in this? Stunning! I'm very happy with this.




This Works In Transit Camera Close Up (Deluxe Mini RRP £17)
"You'll be ready for your closeup with this cruelty-free mask, moisturiser and primer in one. The powerful blend of plant oils, Hyaluronic Acid, Argan and Starflower oils plus a hit of caffeine, result in a revitalising formula. This is the perfect way to rapidly erase the signs of fatigue, boost hydration and prep your skin for photo ready makeup."
Well, this sounds perfect, yes please! I haven't tried anything by This Works before but I have heard amazing things so I have high expectations for this.




Luna by Luna Cosmetics Loose Translucent Powder (Full size RRP £17)

"Hailing from New Jersey, this cruelty-free setting powder sets your makeup to keep your skin smooth for hours. We're in love with the lightweight formula that soaks up excess oil while softening fine lines and hiding pores."

I'm always going to need a setting powder and I'm not going to complain about having another one ready for when I've run out of my current one.




Illamasqua Antimatter Lipstick in Nebula (Full size RRP £20)

"The perfect clutch bag accomplice for your Halloween party, this cruelty-free lipstick from the British beauty brand with an edge will suit every outfit. The cushioned finish glides effortlessly onto your lips for an on-trend semi-matte finish. We're smitten with this girly bright pink that suits all skin tones."

This was the sneak peek and I love Illamasqua lipsticks so I was excited about this. I'll be saving this shade for spring rather than using it now but I'm really happy with this addition to my lipstick drawer.





Sleek Makeup Oh So Special Eyeshadow Palette (Full size RRP £8.99)

"Swap your summer shades for moodier, autumnal hues with this full-size cruelty-free palette. The 12 super pigmented, long-lasting, mineral based shades cover all bases from smoky and sophisticated to daytime chic."

I love getting eyeshadow palettes in beauty boxes and I'm a big fan of Sleek so this is a winner. This is the second sleek palette this year in glossy this year and the palettes are complete opposites shade wise.

The sneak peek for next month is a full size Huda Beauty matte liquid lipstick. And yes, you read that correctly.

As always, Glossybox wins and I'm counting down until I can cancel my annual subscription to Birchbox!

What do you think to these two boxes?

Danni
x

No comments:

Post a Comment