15 October 2018

What I've Been Reading: September 2018.


When it came to reading, the month started off so well. The last week in September I was in Los Angeles and I didn't even read on the place there, never mind when I was actually on American soil. I did start a novel on the flight home though, but that's for next month's post!


We Were On A Break
Lindsey Kelk
Current Kindle Price: £2.99

"There's nothing worse than the last day of holiday. Oh wait, there is. When what should have been a proposal turns into a break, Liv and Adam find themselves on opposite sides of the life they had mapped out.

Friends and family all think they're crazy; Lin throws herself into work- animals are so much simpler than humas- and Adam tries to get himself out of the hole he's dug.

But as the short break becomes a chasm, can they find a way back to each other? Most importantly, do they want to?"

A cute, funny read. I've never read anything by Lindsey Kelk before but based on this, I'd give something else by her a go. I know we're over summer now, but this would be an ideal beach read if you're heading abroad somewhere warm!

Behind Her Eyes
Sarah Pinborough
Current Kindle price: £2.99


"Louise
Since her husband walked out, Louise has made her son her world, supporting them both with her part-time job. But all that changes when she meets...

David
Young, successful and charming- Louise cannoy believe a man like him would look at her twice let alone her attracted to her. But all that comes to a grinding halt when she meets his wife...

Adele
Beautiful, elegant and sweet- Louise's new friend seems perfect in every way. As she becomes obsessed by this flawless couple, entangles in the intricate web of their marriage, they each, in turn, reach out to her.

But only when she gets to know them both does she begin to see the cracks... Is David really the man she thought she knew and is Adele as vulnerable as she appears?
Just what terrible secrets are they both hiding and how far will they go to keep them?"

I love Sarah Pinborough. A few months back, I was gushing over how great 13 minutes was and now, this. This will probably be the most fucked up ending (in a good way!) I'll read this year. She writes an amazing curveball, both books I've ended up in shock, I can't recommend either highly enough, though out of the two, 13 minutes is my favourite.


You Promised Me Forever
Monica Murphy
Current Kindle price: £2.49

"I've got it all, they say. I'm the starting quarterback for the best NFL team in the league. I'm rich. I'm famous. I can have any woman I want, any time I want.

Yeah, I've got everything- except for the one who got away. How do you move on from loving the same girl since you were in seventh grade? She promised me forever. Until forever got too hard and at nineteen, she dumped me.

By text message.

Now she's walked back into my life. Just as beautiful. Just as sweet. Just as smart. More grown up and incredibly sexy...
We're older now. Supposedly wiser. This time, I'm going to fight for what I want, no matter how hard it gets.

This time, I'm going to make her mine.

Forever."

I've read the Friends series by Monica Murphy and this is a continuation of Jordan and Amanda's relationship from that series. I loved the original series based on their high school years but this one fell a little flat for me. It didn't have any of the drama that hooked me in the first place, it was just too predictable. But while I'm talking about it, I do recommend the friends series!



To All The Boys I've Loved Before
Jenny Han
Current Kindle price: £4.04

"Lara Jean keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. One for every boy she's ever loved. When she writes, she can pour out her heart and soul and say all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letter are mailed, and suddenly Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control."
I think we've all watched the Netflix movie by now. I mean, Peter Kavinsky. I don't think I even need to say anything else!



26 Kisses
Anna Michels
Current Kindle price: £8.49

"Getting dumped by her boyfriend is not how Veda planned on starting her summer. When Mark makes it clear that it's over between them, Veda is heartbroken and humiliated- but, more importantly, she's inspired. So she sets out on the love quest of a lifetime: use the summer to forget about Mark, to move on, and move up. All she has to do is kiss twenty-six boys with twenty-six different names- one for each letter of the alphabet.
From the top of the ferris wheel at her hometown carnival to the sandy dunes of Lake Michigan, Veda takes every opportunity she can to add kisses (and boys) to her list, and soon the break-up doesn't sting quite as much. But just when Veda thinks she has the whole kissing thing figured out, she meets someone who turns her world upside down."

This didn't do it for me. It was a slow struggle to finish it and I wasn't rooting for the romantic pairing. It was well written, but the story was a hard pass.



If I Fix You
Abigail Johnson
Current Kindle price: £2.99

"Some things are easy to fix... but are some meant to stay broken?
When sixteen-year-old Jill Whitaker's mom walks out- with a sticky note as a goodbye- only Jill knows the real reason she's gone. But how can she tell her father? Jill can hardly believe it herself. Suddenly, the girl who likes to fix things- cars, relationships, romances, people- is all broken up. It used to be, her best friend, tall blond and hot flirt Sean Addison, could make her smile in seconds. But not anymore. They don't even talk. With nothing making sense, Jill tries to pick up the pieces of her life. When a new guy moves in next door, intense, seriously cute, but with scars- on the inside and out- that he thinks don't show, Jill finds herself trying to make things better for Daniel. But over one long, hot Arizona summer, she realizes she can't fix anyone's life until she fixes her own. And she knows just where to start."
I really liked this. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but I ended up pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

What were you reading in September?

Danni

1 comment:

  1. Behind her eyes is a book I’ve wanated to read for ages as I love thrillers

    ReplyDelete